|Assorted bell pepper fruits from Mexico (Photo credit: Wikipedia)|
Pile your plate with these 10 slimming superfoods
1. Chili powder This spicy powder contains capsinoids, which burn belly fat. When volunteers in a 2009 study popped 6 g of capsinoid oil a day, they lost 5 times as much fat as those who didn’t.
2. Grapefruit When volunteers ate half a grapefruit before every meal in a University of Arizona study, they shaved an inch off their waists, thanks to naringenin, which experts say may help burn fat.
3. Nonfat ricotta Muscle loss as you age can tank your metabolism. Made from whey protein, ricotta can enhance muscle building and metabolism.
4. Bell peppers Vitamin C is an unsung weight loss weapon, and one bell pepper provides twice your daily dose.
5. Romaine lettuce Filling up with a leafy green can trim the overall number of calories you eat by 10%; 2 cups of romaine rack up half your daily fill of vitamin A, plus 113% of bone-building vitamin K.
6. Nuts Their satisfying trifecta of protein, healthy fat, and fiber can help you slim down. To slow your intake, choose nuts in their shells.
7. Melon Satisfy your sweet tooth by spooning a thick slice from the rind for just 45 calories.
8. Canned salmon Protein requires more calories to digest and keeps you feeling full. With nearly 17 g of it per 3 ounces, salmon makes getting your fill of protein a breeze.
9. Edamame Packed with an intelligent combo of protein, healthy fat, and fiber, these pods are guaranteed to keep you full and satisfied for hours.
10. Dark chocolate chips These flavor bombs put the brakes on a craving. The little pieces fool you into thinking you’re getting more, helping you eat less, finds new research.
© prevention.com | MARCH 2012